Watching someone struggling to stop using opioids can be difficult to watch. At The Right Step Hill Country, we see it all the time in our Texas opioid rehab center. Clients check into rehab with severe physical, mental, and personal problems because of codeine addiction. Sometimes, clients accidentally create the situation by acting irresponsibly with their prescription; other times, recreational drug use goes wrong. Either way, addiction is an addiction. For anyone who is not clear about what codeine addiction looks like, the following information will address the signs of codeine addiction.
The Signs of Codeine Addiction
Codeine is an opiate substance doctors prescribe for moderate to severe pain issues. As an opiate painkiller, its potency level is about the middle of the road. Like other opiate-based substances, codeine is highly addictive.
When someone is in the throes of codeine addiction, they will exhibit at least some codeine addiction symptoms. Included in the possible group of symptoms are physical signs of addiction and changes in behavior. For those who don’t already know, here’s a list of the symptoms a codeine addiction sufferer might exhibit:
- The need to keep increasing doses for the desired effect
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Poor physical coordination
- Changes in sleeping patterns
- Less interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Difficulty in personal relationships at home, school, and work
- Money problems while trying to buy substance
Anyone who is showing any number of signs of codeine addiction is likely hooked on the drug and will need help to stop using it. The only way to get rid of codeine addiction symptoms is to stop using the substance and get addiction treatment.
Treating Codeine Addiction
As with most opiates, the only way to responsibly treat a codeine addiction is to spend time in a reputable drug treatment program. The substance abuse treatment process should be familiar to anyone who has ever had an addiction to drugs like heroin.
Treatment will likely start with a medically-monitored detox program. In detox, the facility’s medical staff will do what’s necessary to keep the client comfortable while they move past their withdrawal symptoms. After detox, it’s on to therapy, where the client will work with trained therapists and other staff members. They will learn about their addiction and figure out how to avoid relapses in the future.
Codeine Addiction Treatment at The Right Step Hill Country
We know how challenging it can be to escape the grips of drug addiction. That’s why we use our knowledge and treatment resources to create treatment programs that work. Many of our drug and alcohol addiction treatment plans include:
- Detox – Withdrawing from drugs and alcohol can be an uncomfortable, isolating experience. Our compassionate medical team will work closely with you as you get sober, making you as comfortable as possible, monitoring your progress, intervening when necessary, and providing medication for some severe symptoms.
- Inpatient treatment – Our inpatient treatment program is designed for those who need a higher level of care. In this program, you’ll live at our facility and receive around-the-clock care from our team of addiction professionals. Inpatient treatment is especially beneficial for those who have just completed a detox program.
- Dual diagnosis treatment – We treat both addiction and any underlying mental health issues you may have. Treating both conditions simultaneously can improve the likelihood of long-term recovery and wellness.
- Evidence-based therapies – We offer a variety of therapies that have been proven to be effective in treating addiction, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), and trauma-informed therapy.
- Alumni programs – After you complete our program, you’re still a part of our family. Our alumni programs are designed to help you stay on track with your recovery and connect you with other like-minded individuals.
If you recognize the signs of codeine addiction in yourself or a loved one, it’s time to get help. No matter how intense your codeine addiction might be, there is hope for recovery. For help, you can call The Right Step Hill Country at 1.844.675.1628 or contact us online today.